Friday, September 4, 2015

Samsung Galaxy Devices and External Keyboards

Once I got such a capable device as the Galaxy Note series, I was very interested in learning how to "go light" with my device and use an external keyboard.  After connecting my keyboard to my tablet, the pain began and I was constantly fighting with my tablet's soft-keyboard appearing. 

I googled and searched and a temporary solution was to install an "invisible keyboard" that I would switch to after connecting my keyboard.  This worked until Iet my keyboard go to sleep.  As soon as it would wake up, Samsung would pop-up their message that I needed to use their keyboard and then it would switch me to their keyboard and I would again either have to struggle with hidding their keyboard each time it popped up or take a moment to switch IMEs to the "invisible keyboard."

Well, the solution was there all along; however, it was not really obvious.  Sammy actually did make allowance for using an external keyboard, but you only can access the setting once you connect the keyboard (it is remembered though).  Steps to make this change are:

1.  Connect your keyboard.
2.  Change the "hidden setting" from either the notification menu or the device settings:
     A.  Notification Pull Down:  Click on 'select input method'
     B.  Device Settings:  Select 'Controls' tab, then 'Language and Input'.  Under "Keyboards and Input Methods", click on 'default'
3.  Turn switch of for "Use On Screen Keyboard".

That is it!  Now your softkeyboard will not appear when your external keyboard is present and active.

RANT:  This was really "stupid" of Sammy because of positioning of the setting and the way it is named.  Since it is NOT in an area for "external keyboards" and is right above a list of the devices soft keyboard, it is easy to assume that turning off the setting will prevent the soft keyboard from appearing ALL THE TIME.

Sammy, if you are listening:  Please fix this and move the setting under a specific category for external keyboards... much as external mouse has a setting category.

From the trenches....

No comments:

Post a Comment